Sheri McConnell: The Spiritual Work of Gratitude

Thursday, January 12

The Spiritual Work of Gratitude

Kinda neat inlight of my last post - this daily meditation from the Henri Nouwen Society (see below) was in my inbox this morning...


To be grateful for the good things that happen in our lives is easy, but to be grateful for all of our lives-the good as well as the bad, the moments of joy as well as the moments of sorrow, the successes as well as the failures, the rewards as well as the rejections-that requires hard spiritual work. Still, we are only truly grateful people when we can say thank you to all that has brought us to the present moment. As long as we keep dividing our lives between events and people we would like to remember and those we would rather forget, we cannot claim the fullness of our beings as a gift of God to be grateful for.

Let's not be afraid to look at everything that has brought us to where we are now and trust that we will soon see in it the guiding hand of a loving God.
Sheri at 10:58 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Wow, I get the same emails from the society, and somehow I missed this one. I guess I should read them more closely. This was a good reminder this week. Thanks for posting it so I didn't miss it!
Lisa

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Henri Nouwen - how do you get on the email list? Would you mind sending me the info? Thanks.

nkrieger@shaw.ca

1:14 PM  
Blogger Clarkie said...

Hey Sherazar I added you to my links I am hoping thats cool...I was going to ask long ago and do it long ago but I didnt...now I did.

2:54 PM  
Blogger rachel elizabeth said...

powerfully said...
I especially was struck by this:

we cannot claim the fullness of our beings as a gift of God to be grateful for

hope you are well...missin' ya lots!

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home